Braised Curried Lamb Shank with Yucca
Awaken your palate with a medley of flavors from across Latin America in this delightful lamb dish.
- 12 whole American lamb shanks
- sea salt to taste
- 3 Tbs peanut oil
- 3 yellow onions, peeled, minced
- 6 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled, finely minced
- 1 head fresh garlic, peeled, minced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded, finely minced
- 3 Tbs coriander, ground
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 1/2 quarts water or lamb stock
- 3 cups yogurt, plain
- 2 lbs yucca, peeled, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, red garnett or regular orange
- fresh mint, cut into narrow strips garnish
- Season the lamb with sea salt. In a heavy-bottomed braising pan, heat the oil. Brown lamb shanks deeply on all sides, turning occasionally. Work in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan. Once the lamb is caramelized on all sides, set aside.
- Blend the onions, ginger, garlic and jalapeños until a smooth consistency is reached. In a separate container, mix the coriander, curry powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using the same pan over medium heat, add the onion-garlic paste; allow to cook just until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in spice mixture; simmer for an additional 20 seconds. Add the water or lamb stock. Increase heat to medium-high, bringing mixture to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Temper the yogurt into the braising liquid by gradually whisking it in until combined with the sauce.
- Return lamb shanks to the pan; cover and simmer very gently until the lamb is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Check and stir frequently so as not to burn the pan. Add the yucca and sweet potatoes during the last 15 minutes and cook until tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt. Garnish with fresh mint.
Calories from Fat 126 (28%)
(22%)Total Fat 14g
(19%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.