Baked Brie with Grilled Calimyrna Figs
In France, cheese is served as a dessert—carry on that delicious custom with these crunchy, brie-filled pastries.
- Balsamic Reduction1 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups quartered, dried California Mission figs
- Pistachio Butter1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios, toasted and divided
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Baked Brie4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 8-inch Brie wheel
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 8 fresh California Calimyrna figs, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Watercress (garnish)
- Balsamic ReductionIn large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, and dried figs; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard figs. Return liquid to saucepan; simmer gently over low heat until reduced to 1/2 cup. Transfer to squeeze bottle and chill.
- Pistachio ButterReserve 2 tablespoons pistachios and combine remainder with clarified butter in blender or food processor. Pulse on high until smooth. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Baked BriePreheat oven to 350°F. Brush phyllo sheets with melted butter; stack and cut into quarters. Divide wheel of Brie into quarters and place one quarter, bottom up, in center of each square. Fold phyllo up and over Brie, to fit tightly. Trim and seal phyllo.
- Heat vegetable oil in non-stick skillet and lightly brown wrapped Brie on all sides. Transfer to baking sheet, seam side down, and bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes. Season figs with salt and pepper; grill until warmed through.
- To serve, warm Pistachio Butter in microwave and spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons onto serving plates. Arrange Baked Brie and two grilled fig halves in center and sprinkle with reserved pistachios. Drizzle Balsamic Reduction over all and garnish with watercress.
Calories from Fat 569 (63%)
(101%)Total Fat 65g
(177%)Saturated Fat 35g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 21g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.